Deep down, I am craving a little Hawaii time in a bad way. Sand. Fruity drinks. Waves crashing. Tropical breezes. Ah, yes. Glory Hallelujah.
So this morning, I set out to create a little Hawaii for breakfast. As in “Hanalei Bay Oatmeal”. Yes, I’m crazy. It didn’t quite take me to the beaches of Kauai, but it was still yummy, especially with some extra strong coffee.
Here’s the recipe if you want to try your own tropical oatmeal.
Hanalei Bay Oatmeal
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of gluten free oatmeal
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk (we used the light coconut milk from Trader Joes)
- 1 cup frozen mango (diced)
- 1 cup frozen pineapple (diced)
- 2 bananas, sliced
- dash of cinnamon
- 1/2 t vanilla (I highly recommend Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla)
- 2 T flax seeds
- (optional: shredded, unsweeted coconut and walnuts)
Put water in a pot on the stove. Bring water to a boil. Add remaining ingredients and let simmer on medium for 8 minutes (ish). Serve with shredded coconut and walnut pieces. It’s extra yummy to drizzle a little of the leftover canned coconut milk or Coconut Milk creamer on top.
and yes, this was happening in the adjoining room while the oatmeal preparation was happening….
where are those tropical beaches?!?